I’m a flight instructor (CFI-ASEL/I), commercial (COM-AMEL) and glider pilot (PP-GLI). I volunteer with the Collings Foundation’s Wings of Freedom tour when I can. My wife and I own and fly a 1946 Commonwealth Skyranger, and I’m also partner in an A-36 Bonanza and a T-6G. As time allows, I help run the Skyranger users group and edit SPARS, a newsletter for enthusiasts and owners of Rearwin and Commonwealth Skyrangers.
A few of my stories have appeared in print
- Dream Come True (2013)
- Yellow and Blue on Blue and Green (1993)
- No-go (1994)
- A Swift Kick in the Pants (1995)
- Kindred Spirits (1995)
- Westbound (2001)
- Pittsburgh->Palo Alto, 2002 unedited travelogue, with pictures, of most recent across-America trip. Posted in real-time, at the end of each day of flying.
- Unedited transcripts of a crosscountry flight I took ferrying the Skyranger from Seattle to Boston in 1993, as posted to rec.aviation.
- Travelogue, with photos of the trip ferrying the Skyranger from California to Pittsburgh in 1998. (Sorry – never got around to writing up the Boston-California flight Devon and I took in 1995, but a bit of it is recreated in ‘Westbound’, above)
- An aerial tour of Washington D.C. flying in to National Airport in a 172 a few years ago – those days are gone forever…
- P-40 flight report – I get to fly Chris Prevost’s P-40 Warhawk (from the back seat)